Redeemed

If you don't know there's a battle going on it's because you're not fighting back.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gen- 20, When Unbelievers are More Moral than Believers

After my first year in community college I was invited to join the honor society. I had a 4.0 GPA while registered with 12 credits for both semesters which meant I was "worthy” to be their member.
And I knew it was childish. I knew it was only a community college where even the average high school kid could’ve achieved the same grades with the same effort.


Never the less, I paid the small fee and in a crowded ceremony was given a dime-sized golden pin.


And even though a part of me still felt immature, I proudly wore that pin on the lapel of my Carhartt jacket everywhere I went. Simply put, it was a small symbol of my success. Seeing me wearing this symbol on campus or around town you could assume I had at least a moderate achievement of higher learning.


Well, a few years have passed since then. I never did graduate and the pin has long since been lost. So even now, I guess it’s proclamation was made useless. But still being a vain person who finds meaning and identity in wearing symbols I now wear a cross on a leather string around my neck.


There’s a difference though. Whereas the pin I wore was a symbol of my accomplishment, the cross I wear is not. In fact, it’s not a representation of me at all. Don’t even assume that by my display of this cross that I have by any means even earned the right to wear it. I have done nothing.
This cross is only a tribute to the act of Jesus Christ. It does not mean that I am a better person for wearing it. It does not mean I am honest, or compassionate, or trustworthy. It doesn’t even mean I’m Christian.


In fact, part of why I wear it is because I struggle in all of these areas. And it acts as a daily reminder in my reflection of all the things I am not and all the things Christ is.


Chapter 20 of Genesis deals with a similar issue. Abraham (God’s chosen) has once again been caught in a selfish distrust for God and fear for his own life. As a result, Abraham then lies to a non-believer while putting his wife’s life, his marriage, and his lineage in jeopardy.


It’s a good lesson which teaches me how a servant of God can be prideful, deceitful, and unloving. And how a trusting, non-believer was nearly punished for it.


I too need to remember that as a believer of God I am by no means of any better character than my non-believing brothers; that we as Christians do not have the moral high ground over all things. We are however, at best, open to a Godly correction.


So I guess my point is this- the cross I wear is not an honor society pin. It should not be assumed I have lived a Christ-like life worthy of it. It is however a symbol of the one who is Christ and my hope to be lead by him.


So let me not be self-righteous or shone any person when they’ve exposed me in my hypocrisy. I cannot assume that because they are an unbeliever or even of a different faith that they have no right to confront me. In fact, it may even be that God is using them to speak ever more boldly to me.


Here's an excellent video sermon by Jon Courson to carry us through the whole of Chapter 20:

No comments:

Post a Comment