Redeemed

If you don't know there's a battle going on it's because you're not fighting back.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Gen 22- Training and Testing through Trials and Temptations

Abraham was already 100 years old when God finally allowed Isaac to be born to him and his wife Sarah. But this wasn’t God’s first act in Abraham’s life. Abraham had already been in training with God through many trials and temptations before Isaac ever came.


At 75 years old, God commanded Abraham to leave his fathers land (12:1). Once in Shechem God appeared to Abraham and said, “To your offspring I will give this land (Canaan) (12:7). Later in Egypt, the Lord saved Sarah and Abraham from Pharaoh (12:17). Then again, God was with Abraham when he rescued his nephew Lot from the four kings (14:14).


On his way back from battle with the four kings Abraham met Melchizedek, the “Priest of God”, who immediately pronounced, “Blessed be Abram by God most high!” (14:19) After all of this, God then met with Abraham in a fiery ceremony and made a formal covenant saying, “Look toward heaven and the number of stars, if you are able to number them. So shall your offspring be.” (15:5)


All these are only a few examples scripture gives to show us how through year after year God was continually present with Abraham while training Abraham like a cadet in boot camp. Abraham was learning to listen, learning to trust, and learning to follow orders.


So finally when in Genesis 22:1 scripture says, After these things God tested Abraham” I’m now able to stand inside the story with Abraham and say, “Yes! Let’s see how all God’s training has shaped us. Let’s show that we are loyal and faithful to our King.”


So God said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” (22:2) And as you can read yourself, Abraham obeyed flawlessly.


In fact, scripture doesn’t speak of any emotional response from Abraham at all. It simply says, “So Abraham rose up early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac.” (22:3)


I love this story. I love it because when I step back and look at Abraham’s whole life it helps me to get a perspective of God’s work in my own life. As I heard one commentator say, “God is not rushing in to solve our problems; he’s carefully leading us through them.”


And now I can understand that I am in training by God.


That through every trial God has been with me. In fact, every trial in itself was carefully crafted by God. I can begin to see how every trial has acted as a sort of obstacle course through my past in which God himself has led me- refining me with fire, equipping me with strength, maturing me with confidence, mentoring me with wisdom- All of which I’ll need to overcome the trials I’ll be led to face today.


And sometimes even now when I still feel overwhelmed, I just picture Abraham at the base of that mountain with his son. Then I imagine myself standing at the base of a mountain God has led me to.


And I think to myself, “This is not a random mistake. This is not a punishment. I didn’t take a wrong turn. God hasn’t let me get lost. This exact mountain is in front of me on exactly the day God planned. This mountain is the reason I’ve been in training up to this point.”


So in sharing this with anyone reading I would offer this bit of advice- When you’re slammed up against a seemingly overwhelming challenge. When you can’t see around a problem in your own life and question how you even got there. When you wonder why God hasn't “rushed in.” Stop it.


Stop wailing and crying how undeserved it all seems. That’s like begging God to take the mountain away. Instead, show your reverence. Cover your mouth with your hand. Gaze at the immensity and awesomeness of this challenge. Take a night, set up camp at its base. And as you lay on your back in the dark silence staring up at this forbearing trial, reflect on all the challenges in life you have already faced and been led through to reach this point.


Reflect on all the times you thought you wouldn’t get through. Reflect how many times in the past God carried you even as you distrusted him. Then get some rest. And when you wake up early the next morning, give thanks to God for this and every trial. Then start climbing.




Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. -James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment