Redeemed

If you don't know there's a battle going on it's because you're not fighting back.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Addiction is Idolatry

Let me first say that this is not a full essay on this subject- This is just a quick intro to the sermon link I’ve posted below.


The subject is that Addiction at its root cause is actually a worship problem called Idolatry. And I’m not wholly against recovery groups that don’t use God as the center of their programs- In fact, most addiction recovery groups have a very loose opinion of faith and God as part of their program which tends to muddy up the whole issue even more. (I once had a sponsor tell me his God was a styrofoam cup)


Never the less, when I first sobered up I attended a “90-in-90” which means going to 90 AA meetings in 90 days. And I would still recommend that as a minimum commitment to anyone first getting into sobriety. It’s after the 90/90 that you might want to consider ideas like the one introduced in the sermon below.


Anyway, it’s a quality video (about 40 minutes) and beats reading me ramble on for 5 pages where I’d just end up saying all the same things. Oh, the speaker (Mark Driscoll) does reference one of my favorite books on addiction recovery called, Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave by Edward T. Welch. I’d recommend this book to anyone either in recovery or with a friend or family member who struggles with addiction. Blessings!

Click this link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment