Redeemed

If you don't know there's a battle going on it's because you're not fighting back.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

How We Believe

I know God has chosen to reveal himself to me in ways he knew I would clearly understand- I'm just not sure why it took me so long. So it's a little sideways for me to say this but never the less, it’s come up in a few conversations this last week with friends I have who tell me they’re not totally sold into believing in God. And because I love them and want to share in God's love with them, I've come up with this response. My hope is that maybe it'll help anyone of you...


I tell them that they’re unbelief is the same as someone who says they don't believe in Gravity. Because whether you believe or not, you are still subjugated to and reaping all the rewards and benefits of it. And your ability or inability to believe does not in anyway affect its truth or power- just your appreciation of it.


In scripture Romans 1:19-21 says, “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.”


And if they're still tracking alongside me then I might say something to the effect of, "So just for the record, it's not so much our inability to believe as it is, our unwillingness. God has already made it obvious to us. Like I heard one pastor say, "Every bush is a burning bush." So instead of saying "I don't believe" maybe it'd be more accurate to say, "I won't believe".


For a great example of this check out the crazy demon story in Mark 9:14-29 where a guy looks at Jesus right in the face and says, "I believe! Help my unbelief!" (That's still one of my favorite things to say in prayer)

1 comment:

  1. My favorite prayer right now is "Jesus, help me" over and over and over again . . . .

    ReplyDelete